• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Fix Audio Distortion when using Headphones on Laptops [Clover/OpenCore]

An EliteMacx86 Exclusive Guide - This guide covers fixing of Audio Distortion when using Headphones on Laptops using Clover and OpenCore.

Overview

After enabling the Audio, you might encounter audio distortion/crackling sound when using headphones on laptops. To fix this issue, follow the steps below.

Some Audio Codecs which requires this fix
  • Realtek ALC233/ALC3236
  • Realtek ALC236
  • Realtek ALC255
  • Realtek ALC256/ALC3246
  • Realtek ALC292
  • Realtek ALC294
  • Realtek ALC298
  • Realtek ALC299
Using VoodooHDA, this can be fixed for most of the times. But as per the laptop FAQ, VoodooHDA is not recommended.

Installing the required Kext

Download CodecOmmander from the downloads section of this forum.
Extract the kext from the Release folder.
Mount your ESP.

For Clover:
If you're using Clover, copy the kext to EFI/Clover/Kext/Others

For OpenCore:
If you're using OpenCore, copy the kext to EFI/OC/Kexts. You'll also need to add the kext entry in Kernel section of your config.plist.

Installing HDA Verb

Copy hda-verb to bin
Open Terminal
Type:
Code:
sudo cp -R /Users/yourusername/Desktop/hda-verb /usr/bin
When promoted, enter your password

Download the Jack fix attached below. This is a script which updates the pin widget control when using Headphones
Code:
hda-verb 0x19 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x25
hda-verb 0x21 SET_UNSOLICITED_ENABLE 0x83

Installing Jack Fix

Copy Jack fix to bin
Open Terminal
Type:
Code:
sudo cp -R /Users/yourusername/Desktop/Jack fix /usr/bin
When promoted, enter your password

Monitor the Audio, and execute the script. The distortion should be fixed

Note:
This will also fix switching issues for Headphones and Microphone Outputs. The script works for AppleHDA, AppleALC, CloverHDA, ADummyHDA and VoodooHDA.

Q. Is there any way to execute/run this script automatically?
A. Yes. In System Preferences, go to Users & Groups, select Login items, add Jack Fix to Login Items.

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 6.55.51 AM.png

Problem Reporting

Details
  1. Audio Codec
  2. macOS version/CPU/GPU
  3. Copy of IOReg
  4. Method used for enabling Audio
  5. Installed CodecCommander.kext
  6. Kextcache output
Screen shots:
  • DPCIManager/Status
  • System Information/Hardware/Audio/Intel High Definition Audio (All available devices)
  • System Preferences/Sound/Output
  • System Preferences/Sound/Input
Files:
  • For Clover, compress EFI/Clover, exclude the themes folder.
  • For OpenCore, compress EFI/OC.
Notes:
  • Do not include complete EFI folder.
  • Put all files in a folder with your name, compress files as Zip and attach files using site attachments only.
  • Do not use any external links.

Credits:
EliteMacx86
RehabMan
Mahmoud

Attachments

• Jack fix.zip
    627 bytes · Views: 5,430
Last edited:
It really works!!!

Reactions: Mirone
It works like a charm. Just what I needed. Today I got audio in Mojave Thanks to this wonderful site, Mirone's AppleHDA patcher, and Rehadman CodeC Comander, and credits to the Jack fix developer, I don't know who is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EliteMacx86
It works like a charm. Just what I needed. Today I got audio in Mojave Thanks to this wonderful site, Mirone's AppleHDA patcher, and Rehadman Code Comander, and credits to the Jack fix developer, I don't know who is.
Thanks for the appreciation. A long time ago, i had this issue so began to test with friend's laptops which had same issue. I tried to search and when debugging, i found the what was causing it and finally got the idea from the CodecCommander. Wrote a script and it works like a charm. EliteMacx86, Admin of EliteMacx86 forums is the developer of this fix. As it was a Jack related issue so i choose the name as "Jack Fix" and yes, it does the job. Happy to share.

Reactions: decros
I made some minor changes and I posted HERE I hope you do not mind.
thanks bro!
It has been so long!
That's great. As long as the original guide is linked and credit is given, i'm ok with it.
:)

Reactions: Mirone
@EliteMacx86.
you're right, credits and links are fixed there.

Hey just wanted to say, this guide worked for me on my Alienware R5 17 - after a day of messing around with AppleALC and what not, I tried VoodooHDA + your guide and it works 100%!!

Thank you! :)

Hey just wanted to say, this guide worked for me on my Alienware R5 17 - after a day of messing around with AppleALC and what not, I tried VoodooHDA + your guide and it works 100%!!
Great!
Thank you! :)
You're welcome
My script works with AppleHDA, AppleALC, CloverHDA and VoodooHDA. BTW, what's your Audio Codec?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pp23