• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

GUIDE Intel HD Graphics 3000 on macOS Mojave 10.14.x and macOS Catalina 10.15.x

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Fix Intel HD Graphics 3000 on macOS Mojave 10.14.x and macOS Catalina 10.15.x

An EliteMacx86 Exclusive Guide - This guide covers fixing of Intel HD Graphics 3000 on macOS Mojave and macOS Catalina.

Overview

Recently, Apple announced their next release i.e macOS Mojave 10.14 for which we have been waiting for. macOS Mojave includes many new features. The most attractive feature is the Dark Theme and the GUI. With each release of macOS, Apple remove supports for old hardware. With the the release of Mojave, Apple has removed support for Intel HD Graphics 3000 Officially for all the Mac line up products from late 2010 and 2011. From Mojave, Apple does not supports any non-metal Graphics Card which requires at least Intel HD Graphics 4000, which is a metal capable Graphics.

A year later, macOS Catalina was released and fact that since Mojave, the Graphics isn't supported, unfortunately, the same scenario is with Catalina.

If you tend to install, you cannot even boot as the system is incompatible. However, even you trick by using boot-args and skip compatibility check, at the time of installation, you won't be able to select the drive on which you want to install. It will throw an error saying "This version of macOS 10.14 cannot not be installed on this computer". The system compatibility check can be bypassed by using a boot-arg and changing the SMBIOS in config.plist.

Users with Intel HD Graphics 3000 don't need to worry as they can install it and can also get the Graphics working with Full QE/CI. However, with the light theme, a weird darkish grey Menu Bar and Finder sidebar appears. With the Dark Theme, this issue is not present.

Before you start with this guide, please know something about the performance. Graphics enhance the performance and helps to work smoothly. In macOS, full acceleration requires that both Quartz Extreme and Core Image (QE/CI) should work together.

Quartz Extreme and Core Image (QE/CI) should work together to enable full acceleration on macOS’s GUI. It utilizes the complete Graphics capabilities. In case if you haven’t enabled QE/CI on your graphic card, you won’t be able to use your macOS smoothly and there would be lots of lags and artifacts, graphic related issues and poor refresh rate. Also the dock would not be transparent. Therefore it is very important to ensure that your graphic is working with full QE/CI.

Requirements

GraphicsIntel HD Graphics 3000
macOS VersionmacOS Mojave 10.14.x, macOS Catalina 10.15.x

BIOS Setting

The BIOS settings has been provided in a separate thread. For more information on BIOS settings, refer to the thread linked below.

Config.plist

The config.plist file must be as per the guide.

For Clover:

For OpenCore:

DSDT Patching

For a Laptop, the DSDT patching is necessary in order to achieve the full functionality of the hardware. For more information on DSDT and SSDT patching, refer to the guide linked below.

Notes:
  • If your Laptop has 1366x768 resolution, use HD 3000 Low Resolution patch.
  • If your Laptop has 1600x900+ resolution, use HD 3000 High Resolution patch.

Installing Graphics Kexts

The next step is to download the required kexts to enable graphics. Chris111 has made this very easy. The kexts and bundles are needed together to work with conjunction in order to enable the graphics. The installers are attached to the bottom of this post.

Run the installer and continue with the installation.

Notes:
  • If you're using macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H15), do not install the Legacy Video Patch. Instead, update the system first, complete the updates and then install Legacy Video Patch.
Restart your System

After performing all the above steps, restart your system for the applied changes to take effect.
Now you should be able to get your Intel UHD Graphics 1536 MB will full QE/CI. And your Dock would be also transparent.

Problem Reporting

Details:
  1. macOS version
  2. Copy of IOReg
  3. Kextcache output
Screen shots:
  • DPCIManager/Status
  • About This Mac
  • System Information/Graphics/Displays
Files:
  • For Clover, compress EFI/Clover, exclude the themes folder.
  • For OpenCore, compress EFI/OC.
Notes:
  • Do not include complete EFI folder.
  • Put all files in a folder with your name, compress files as Zip and attach files using site attachments only.
  • Do not use any external links.

Credits:
Artur for testing
Sebastiaan for testing
Chris111 for the package

Sample Attachment

The Intel HD 3000 from Dell Latitude E6320, and ASUS N53SV are used as the example in this guide.

Attachments

• Fix Graphics HD 3000 Mojave-10.14.pkg.zip
    31.6 MB · Views: 11,599
Last edited:
Reactions: PetrusDeMelo
Where is kexts download link?

I'm on my phone so I can't attach problem reporting files right now, but can I ask one thing: is setting dvmt pre-allocated a must have requirement? I'm a beginner, but I don't think I have read/seen HD 3000 guides and config.plist's mention dvmt patching in bios or framebuffer patching for it, even for an accelerating HD 3000 in mojave, such as https://github.com/BesnikRrustemi/Lenovo-B570e. Thanks in advance.

is setting dvmt pre-allocated a must have requirement?
DVMT pre-alloc is required from Broadwell and above. I've included the options if there's option to set from BIOS otherwise it's not required. The guide has been tested and works like a charm.

Thank you for your reply. I will not do the DVMT patching.
I attached two sets of problem reporting files. They both have only 384MB in graphics memory. It does not go up to 1536MB or 2048MB with WEG framebuffer-unifiedmem 00000080. JinmoMBP8,1 is the one that has WEG patching in Devices/Properties/PciRoot~/AAPL,snb-platform-id 00000100, and JinmoMBA5,1 is with the former IntelGraphicsFixup method Graphics/Inject/Intel/true. They both have corresponding EDID injection in Devices/Properties/PciRoot~ or Graphics/EDID/Custom, as my screen does not seem to work without EDID extracted from Windows. But without EDID, sound and other things work, so with a black screen, I can shut down by pressing tab a couple times and hitting spacebar or even hear the beep sound from pressing F1-F12 keys.
I also have noticed that with MBP8,1, the display is recognized as external display with backlight control not working. MBA5,1 is internal display, and backlight control works, but everything is white so I cannot see very well. The dropdown menu of the display icon that lets me change the color tone or shading can only lighten up in brightness so it becomes more white.
I would like to go with the new WEG patching method because people say Devices/Properties method is more powerful. Can you help me with this? I will open a separate thread if that's necessary.

Attachments

• JinmoMBP8,1.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 1,265
  • MBA5,1 Normal,NoBacklight.JPG
    MBA5,1 Normal,NoBacklight.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,409
  • MBP8,1 White,Backlight.JPG
    MBP8,1 White,Backlight.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,652
  • JinmoMBA5,1.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 879
I will not do the DVMT patching.
As mentioned, it's not required. Intel HD Graphics 3000 can be 384MB and 512MB. Depends on the RAM.
They both have corresponding EDID injection in Devices/Properties/PciRoot~ or Graphics/EDID/Custom, as my screen does not seem to work without EDID extracted from Windows. But without EDID, sound and other things work, so with a black screen, I can shut down by pressing tab a couple times and hitting spacebar or even hear the beep sound from pressing F1-F12 keys.
EDID injection is not required unless you've some weird issues with your screen.
I also have noticed that with MBP8,1, the display is recognized as external display with backlight control not working. MBA5,1 is internal display, and backlight control works, but everything is white so I cannot see very well. The dropdown menu of the display icon that lets me change the color tone or shading can only lighten up in brightness so it becomes more white.
MBA5,1 is a poor choice. You must use MBP8,1. For the Backlight control, read the guide here: https://www.elitemacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-enable-backlight-control-on-laptop.182/

For the MBP8,1, incomplete PR files have been attached. The kextcache output, screenshot is missing. the DSDT is not patched as per the guide. You cannot expect things to work on a Laptop without proper DSDT patching. The native DSDT is different than the patched one. You must follow the Laptop DSDT and SSDTs patching guide. Also, the config.plist is not as per the guide.

The same is with the MBA5,1 PR files.
I would be updating this guide very soon.
It would be good if you follow the guide, and open a separate thread instead.

Thank you for your reply. I have just joined this community and am not familiar with the problem reporting, configs, or DSDT and SSDTs. I will look into that and I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Thank you for your reply. I have just joined this community and am not familiar with the problem reporting, configs, or DSDT and SSDTs. I will look into that and I will be keeping an eye on this thread.
Sure. I've updated the guide. You should be good to go now.

After installing the drivers my Hackintosh is getting stuck on the Apple Logo DDB80783-1570-4940-9BAE-1D6240163DD7.jpeg

Attachments

• Details.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 969

Trending Threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amsva011002