• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS

How to Enable AMD RX 6600, RX 6600XT, RX 6800, RX 6800XT and RX 6900XT Graphics on macOS Big Sur and Later

An EliteMacx86 Exclusive Guide - This guide covers the implementation of AMD Navi RDNA2 GPU on macOS Big Sur and later. By following this guide, you'll be able to achieve full QE/CI on your system.

Overview

Apple has been using a wide range of AMD Graphics Card for a long time. The good news is with the release of macOS Big Sur, version 11.4, will include the drivers for AMD Navi RDNA 2 architecture lineups, which include AMD RX 6800, RX 6800XT, and 6900XT GPU variants. This means from macOS Big Sur 11.4 and future macOS versions, we can have the GPU working, as long as macOS supports it.

Surprisingly, with macOS Monterey 12.1, AMD RX 6600 and 6600XT are supported too.

With such good support for AMD GPUs, it's quite easy to get AMD graphic cards working on macOS Big Sur 11.4 and later which requires only a few steps. The sleep/wake function also works normally without any restarts or crashes. Also, you don't need to use any helper cards or IGPU.

Before using this guide, we recommend you perform a clean installation of macOS.

Requirements

GraphicsAMD NAVI RDNA 2
KextsOriginal Graphics kexts in S/L/E.
macOSBig Sur 11.4 and later. For RX 6600 and RX6600XT, macOS Monterey 12.1 or later is required.

Compatibility

For more information on GPU compatibility, refer to the thread linked below.

For AMD APU, see here

STEP 1: Setup BIOS
The very first step is to set up BIOS to have the AMD GPU Enabled on your System. Follow the steps below to set up your BIOS for AMD GPU.

1. On your target computer, boot to BIOS. Refer to your user manual for the BIOS Key
2. Set the following parameters as shown.

SettingsValueNotes
Initial PCIe Output DisplayPCIe/Auto/EnabledDepending on your System's BIOS, use one of the Values available
Intel Processor GraphicsDisabled

3. Save & Exit Setup

NOTES:
  • The above settings are for Graphics only. See BIOS Settings for more information.
  • If there is no option to disable IGPU and IGPU loads under macOS, disable it using -wegnoigpu boot arg.
  • If your system does not have any of the above settings in BIOS, ignore such settings.

STEP 2: Remove Outdated Kexts, Injections, and ACPI Renames
Once you have set up the BIOS, the next step is to remove the kexts, injections, and ACPI renames that can interfere with the Graphics implementation. To remove such, follow the steps below.

Kexts Removal
If you're using any of these kexts listed below, it is recommended to remove them. See notes below.

1. Mount your ESP
2. Remove the following kexts.
  • IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
  • NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
  • CoreDisplayFixup.kext
  • Shiki.kext
  • IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext
  • AzulPatcher4600.kext
  • AppleBacklightFixup.kext,
  • FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
  • FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext
  • FakePCIID.kext
NOTES:
  • If you're using OpenCore, you'll also need to remove the kext entries from your kernel section in your config.plist
  • For Mojave and prior, make sure these kexts don't exist in Library/Extensions or System/Library/Extensions.
  • Do not remove FakePCIID.kext if you're using any other FakePCIID plugins.

Clover Properties and Injections
If you're using Clover, you need to disable Clover properties and injections.

1. Mount your ESP
2. Open your config.plist and disable and/or remove the following from their respective sections

Disable DSDT Fixes
The DSDT fixes can be disabled in Acpi>Fixes section.
  • AddHDMI
  • FixDisplay
  • FixIntelGfx
  • AddIMEI
  • FixHDA
  • AddPNLF
Remove Fake IDs
The Fake IDs can be disabled in the Devices>Fake ID section.
  • ATI
  • IntelGFX
  • NVidia
  • IMEI
Disable injection properties
The injection properties can be disabled in the Devices>Properties section.
  • Inject
  • UseIntelHDMI
  • HDMIInjection
  • SetIntelBacklight
  • SetIntelMaxBacklight
Disable Graphics Injection
The Graphics injection can be disabled in the Graphics section
  • ATI
  • Intel
  • NVidia
Remove ig-platform-id
The ig-platform-id can be removed in the Graphics section

ACPI Renames
If you're using any ACPI renames, you'll need to disable or delete the ACPI renames as these can conflict with WhateverGreen's automatic renames.

1. Mount your ESP
2. Open your config.plist and remove the following ACPI renames. For Clover, it's in Acpi>DSDT>Patches section, and for OpenCore, it's under ACPI>Patch section.
  • GFX0 to IGPU
  • PEGP to GFX0
  • HECI to IMEI
  • MEI to IMEI
  • HDAS to HDEF
  • B0D3 to HDAU
STEP 3: Add Required kexts

The next step is to add the required kexts to enable AMD Graphics. WhateverGreen doesn't work standalone. WhateverGreen and Lilu are needed together to work in conjunction in order to enable AMD Graphics and prevent any errors.

1. Download WhateverGreen and Lilu from the downloads section of this forum.
2. Mount your ESP.

For Clover:
If you're using Clover, copy both the kexts to EFI/Clover/Kext/Others

For OpenCore:
If you're using OpenCore, copy both the kexts to EFI/OC/Kexts. You'll also need to add the kext entries in the Kernel section of your config.plist.

NOTES:
  • Download the latest version for better support.
  • Download only the RELEASE.zip file.
  • If the kext is already present in the directory, replace them with a new version
  • Do not use WhateverGreen.kext.dSYM, WhateverName.app and Lilu.kext.dSYM

STEP 4: Add Boot Arg

The next step is to modify your config.plist and add a boot flag to prevent black screen after macOS finishes loading.

For Clover

1. Mount your ESP.
2. Open config.plist from EFI/Clover directory
3. Go to the Boot section. Add -agdpmod=pikera under Boot Arguments.
4. Save config.plist

For OpenCore

1. Mount your ESP.
2. Open config.plist from EFI/OC directory.
3. Go to the NVRAM section. In the UUID "7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82" add agdpmod=pikera under boot-args.
4. Save config.plist

STEP 5: Restart your System

After performing all the above steps, restart your system for the applied changes to take effect.

Verify your Card
Look for the information of your card under About this Mac and verify the VRAM. For more information about your Card, navigate to System Information and navigate to Graphics/Displays Tab.

NOTES:
  • If you get a black screen, make sure to update your BIOS and switch from Legacy to UEFI boot mode.
  • If your BIOS has CSM option, disable it.
  • If your BIOS has PCI ROM Priority, set it to UEFI/UEFI ROM.
  • If your BIOS has Legacy Option ROMs, set it to UEFI/UEFI Only.

Problem Reporting

Details:
  1. macOS version
  2. Copy of IOReg
  3. Kextcache output
Screenshots:
  • Hackintool>PCIe Export
  • About This Mac
  • System Information/Graphics/Displays
Files:
  • For Clover, compress EFI/Clover, and exclude the themes folder.
  • For OpenCore, compress EFI/OC.
Notes:
  • Do not include the complete EFI folder.
  • Put all files in a folder with your name, compress files as Zip and attach files using site attachments only.
  • Do not use any external links.

Sample Attachment

The AMD RX 6800 and 6900XT from AMD are used as examples in this guide.

AMD RX 6800
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.22.56 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.22.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.23.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.24.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.22.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.29.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.31.21 AM.png

AMD RX 6900XT

Video Demonstration:

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.42.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.43.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.43.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.42.45 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 12.42.16 AM.png

Credits:
mooseknuckleboi

Last edited:
Reactions: Allan
where are the kexts? :)

where are the kexts? :)
Check the post. It has been updated. The post already mentions "WhateverGreen and Lilu" are the required kexts.

thanks for this tutto, just one thing, i'm not sure rx6700 are op with 11.4
The 6700XT has a different device ID

thanks for this tutto, just one thing, i'm not sure rx6700 are op with 11.4
The 6700XT has a different device ID
Yes, that's correct. We're still testing it.

Hello, i have one question. I just bought a graphics card accidently
(ASRock Radeon RX 6700XT Challenger Pro 12GB OC)
and I wanted to ask now, if i should return this card, because i was reading in some forum that this card is not compatible with BigSur. Should I now return the card or will there be good hope for support in the near feature?
Thanks,
utilman

and I wanted to ask now, if i should return this card, because i was reading in some forum that this card is not compatible with BigSur. Should I now return the card or will there be good hope for support in the near feature?
Thanks,
utilman

There might be a support in the future, but as of now, this is not supported.

Thanks,
utilman
There might be a support in the future, but as of now, this is not supported.
All right, yes, what i was reading on the internet is that the Device ID of the 21 (?) is still part of the kext and in the last update there was no support, maybe in the next. Anyway, i will return the card and wait if Apple release the drivers anytime. But i think they will not. But we will know anytime later. Thanks for response

Thanks for this. My 6800 XT works but everytime i need to change the bios Re-Bar support to disabled instead of Auto. Is there a way to fix it ?

Thanks for this. My 6800 XT works but everytime i need to change the bios Re-Bar support to disabled instead of Auto. Is there a way to fix it ?
If your BIOS settings is changing, replace the CMOS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Change4209