• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

GUIDE How to use macOS Internet Recovery using OpenCore

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS

How to use macOS Internet Recovery using OpenCore

Method #1: Using macOS

STEP 1: Download macOS (aka Recovery Image)
Before you start using the Internet Recovery feature, you'll need to have the exact Recovery image of the target OS you want to install. To download the recovery image, follow the steps below.

1. Download OpenCore Pkg from the downloads section of this forum.
2. Extract the downloaded file to your Desktop.
3. Open Terminal and move into the OpenCore directory using
Code:
cd Desktop/OpenCore-0.X.X-RELEASE/Utilities/macrecovery
NOTE:
  • Replace the X with the OpenCore version.

4. Depending on the macOS version you need (See Recovery Table below), type the command.

Recovery Table

OS VersionCommand
OS X Lion./macrecovery.py -b Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F -m 00000000000F0HM00 download
OS X Mountain Lion./macrecovery.py -b Mac-7DF2A3B5E5D671ED -m 00000000000F65100 download
OS X Mavericks./macrecovery.py -b Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 -m 00000000000FNN100 download
OS X Yosemite./macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 00000000000GDVW00 download
OS X El Capitan./macrecovery.py -b Mac-FFE5EF870D7BA81A -m 00000000000GQRX00 download
macOS Sierra./macrecovery.py -b Mac-77F17D7DA9285301 -m 00000000000J0DX00 download
macOS High Sierra./macrecovery.py -b Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 -m 00000000000J80300 download
macOS Mojave./macrecovery.py -b Mac-7BA5B2DFE22DDD8C -m 00000000000KXPG00 download
macOS Catalina./macrecovery.py -b Mac-CFF7D910A743CAAF -m 00000000000PHCD00 download
macOS Big Sur./macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 00000000000000000 download

5. Once the download is completed, you'll see something like below
Code:
Downloading 694-44177...
Saving http://oscdn.apple.com/content/downloads/43/08/002-55353/wjqymtilqz139hpcx4lu2i2h5ndrmuydno/RecoveryImage/BaseSystem.dmg to BaseSystem.dmg...
Download complete!               
Saving http://oscdn.apple.com/content/downloads/43/08/002-55353/wjqymtilqz139hpcx4lu2i2h5ndrmuydno/RecoveryImage/BaseSystem.chunklist to BaseSystem.chunklist...
Download complete!               
Verifying image with chunklist...
Image verification complete!

You can find BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist in OpenCore/Utilities/macrecovery directory.

STEP 2: Create Bootable Recovery Drive
Once you have obtained the recovery image, the next step is to create a bootable Recovery Drive. To create a bootable Recovery Drive, follow the steps below.

1. Insert your USB Flash Drive (less than 64GB ) into your Mac.
2. Open Disk Utility. The Disk Utility is located at /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
2. Select your USB Flash Drive in the left pane and click on Erase button, at the top and a popup will appear.
3. Under Name type EFI
4. Under Format select MS-DOS (FAT)
5. Under Scheme select Master Boot Record, and click on Erase.
6. When done, click on Done and close Disk Utility.
7. Now open your USB Flash Drive and create a folder named com.apple.recovery.boot
8. Copy BaseSystem.dmg and BaseSystem.chunklist downloaded in STEP #1 to the above created directory.
9. Copy your created OpenCore EFI for your target hardware to the root of the USB Flash Drive.

NOTE:
  • For Flash Drive with more than 64 Capacity, you will need to create a separate EFI partition and is therefore not recommended.

STEP 3: Booting into macOS Recovery
Now, as you have the Bootable Recovery Drive, you can boot into macOS Recovery. To boot into macOS Recovery, follow the steps below.

1. Turn on your target System.
2. Boot to Boot Menu.
3. Select your USB Flash Drive with the UEFI Prefix and press enter to boot.
4. When at OC Boot picker, select the Recovery and press enter to boot and the installer will load in a while.

NOTES:
  • An internet connection is required to download the required files and perform the clean installation.
  • Ethernet or native WiFi is preferred for the purpose. USB WiFi Adapter will not serve the purpose.
  • The network must be configured correctly.

Last edited:
Hi I see at the top of thread says:
"Method #1: Using macOS"

Is there a Method 2 in post, I could not see it

Method #2 and #3 are for Windows and Linux, which have not been added now. But it has been covered collectively in the main install guide.

Method #2 and #3 are for Windows and Linux, which have not been added now. But it has been covered collectively in the main install guide.
So just some feedback and comparisons to other sites. When you have multiple posts on same topic but in other posts this is what makes learning Hackintosh/OC somewhat difficult. I'm sure you all know the technical aspects of all this but when your on this side of the fence its really confusing seeing post after post with same topic but with slight variations on instructions. What i do like is where there is 1 guide and it just covers the specific topic. I've already seen this in some of the guides I've been browsing which is really good.

but as i mentioned if there is a method 2 or 3 in a post and we don't see it. it's confusing.

So just some feedback and comparisons to other sites. When you have multiple posts on same topic but in other posts this is what makes learning Hackintosh/OC somewhat difficult. I'm sure you all know the technical aspects of all this but when your on this side of the fence its really confusing seeing post after post with same topic but with slight variations on instructions. What i do like is where there is 1 guide and it just covers the specific topic. I've already seen this in some of the guides I've been browsing which is really good.

but as i mentioned if there is a method 2 or 3 in a post and we don't see it. it's confusing.

Yes, we understand. As mentioned before, we're working on it and it will be corrected eventually.

You should continue all the issues in the following thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amoses