• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

READ FIRST! macOS/OS X Frequent Questions

EliteMacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Supermicro X11SPA-T
CPU
Intel Xeon W-3275 28 Core
Graphics
2xAMD RX 580 8GB
OS X/macOS
13.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
macOS/OS X Frequent Questions - FAQ

Before posting your queries, several common questions have been already answered and some exist in the sticky threads in the dedicated support forum. Read this post before you start your journey with macOS/OS X and before posting your doubts and queries...

If you ask a question that has been answered by this FAQ, you'll likely be directed right back to this FAQ.

As this is a specific FAQ thread, so please do not ask questions regarding issues you're having. If you have any topic to discuss or have any questions to ask, please use the appropriate forum and open a separate thread instead. If you have something you'd like to add to this thread, feel free to reply here.

Q. Where do I start?
Before you start,

Hardware Compatibility

OpenCore
Clover

Q. What if I don't have access to a Mac computer for creating a Bootable USB?
Now, with the recently developed methods, it's no longer a prerequisite (although preferred). With the cross-platform tools, you can now configure and edit the .plist files using Windows or Linux. Similarly, the bootable USB can be created on Windows or Linux. See the macOS Installation guide for more information.

Q. How do I Install Kexts?

Q. Is it possible to preserve my existing Windows installation?
It can be possible. But not recommended. Always do a clean installation and then install Windows. The Dual Boot installation guides are available for both, Clover and OpenCore. For more information, read here: https://www.elitemacx86.com/forums/multi-boot.54/

Q. Is my Desktop compatible?

Q. Is my Laptop compatible?
Due to the hardware differences, not all Laptops are compatible. See Laptop Compatibility for more information.

Q. Is Tiger Lake Laptop supported?
macOS can be installed on Tiger Lake Laptops. However, due to the unsupported graphics, it will result in no graphics acceleration, causing glitches and artifacts. See IGPU Compatibility for more information.

Q. My Laptop has NVIDIA/AMD GPU. Can I use it under macOS/OS X?
Yes, only, if it is not configured as Optimus/Switching Technology and if IGPU is factory disabled. See Laptop Compatibility for more information.

Q. My Laptop dGPU display is routed to NVIDIA/AMD GPU. Can I still use the HDMI/DP/mDP or Type-C ports?

Q. Can I install macOS/OS X on AMD Laptops?
macOS can be installed on AMD Laptops. However, as APUs cannot be driven it will result in no graphics acceleration, causing glitches and artifacts. See IGPU Compatibility for more information.

Q. Is Intel ARC GPU Supported?
No, none of the Intel ARC GPUs are supported. See IGPU Compatibility for more information.

Q. Is NVIDIA RTX GPU Supported?
No, none of the Intel GPUs are supported. See NVIDIA GPU Compatibility for more information.

Q. Is there NVIDIA WebDriver available for macOS Mojave and newer?
No, there has been no WebDriver since macOS Mojave and it is not expected in near future.

Q. Is AMD GPU Supported?
Yes, AMD GPUs are supported. However, you have a very limited choice. See AMD GPU Compatibility for more information.

Q. How and Where do I install Kexts?

Q. Can I use RAID Card?

Q. Can I use RAID under macOS/OS X?

Q. Can I install macOS/OS X as a Bootable RAID?

Q. How do I Reset NVRAM?

Q. How do I Mount EFI?

Q. I have changed my Motherboard. Do I need to reinstall macOS/OS X?

Q. Can I use Time Machine?

Q. I'm using Clover. How can I switch from Clover to OpenCore?

Q. What are Problem Reporting (PR) Files?
PR Files are Problem Reporting files, used for diagnostics. Without these files, it would be almost impossible to diagnose the issue(s) you might have with your installation. These files show how your system is configured and whether it is as per the guides outlined on this forum or not.

If you can't boot, provide the following:

1. Hardware Information
(Must be indicated in your profile, you're seeking support for)
2. BIOS Settings
3. Boot in Verbose, attach video
(each tab, each submenu, and the available options)
4. Configuration Files
  • If using OpenCore (Compress EFI/OC folder as .zip)
  • If using Clover (Compress EFI/Clover folder as .zip)

If you can boot into macOS/OS X Desktop but are having some other problems describe the problem clearly and provide the following:

1. System Information
(Must be indicated in your profile, you're seeking support for)

2. Configuration Files
  • If using OpenCore (Compress EFI/OC folder as .zip)
  • If using Clover (Compress EFI/Clover folder as .zip)
3. Debug Files:
  • IOReg (Use only v2.1)
  • Hackintool>PCIe Export
  • System Report>System Information>Save
  • Logs and Outputs (Commands to be executed in Terminal)
    • Bootlog
      • log show --last boot | head -1500 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
    • Power Management
      • pmset -g
      • pmset -g assertions
      • pmset -g log | grep -e "Sleep.*due to" -e "Wake.*due to"
    • Extensions
      • sudo kextstat
    • TRIM
      • log show --last boot | grep "trims took"
    • Kextcache
      • For OS X 10.10 and prior
        • sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
      • For OS X 10.11 and newer
        • sudo kextcache -i /

Put all files in a folder with your name, compress files as Zip and attach files using site attachments only. Do not use any external links. Each output must be exported as a separate .txt file.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
google50002