• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

GUIDE How to Boot macOS without USB [Clover/OpenCore] - Installing Bootloader on the macOS/OS X Drive

I have a question !

Let's say the OpenCore EFI is successfully copied/moved to the HDD/SSD.
MacOS will launch from the HDD/SSD : ok.
Okay

After that, let's do some changes on config.plist, then after the reboot, the system crashes before the desktop.
Now, trying to boot with the recovery : it crashes too.
I mean : no more able to boot from the usb key, does not appear on boot menu...

How to fix that ?

NB : that happened to me twice (so far), and I found a way to recover, but a not-easy-one.
Well, that's obvious because the Recovery is not using a different config.plist/EFI. As its booting from the same problematic one. So no matter whether you boot via main disk or the recovery or via a USB installer. As long as you don't correct the EFI or config.plist, it will not boot and problems are expected.

As long as you don't correct the EFI or config.plist, it will not boot and problems are expected.
Yeah, but how do you gain access to these files if the system doesn't give you access ?

As I said, I found a solution : boot a Puppy Linux, mount the MacOS HDD, and delete the EFI folder.
After that, the system is able to boot from the USB key again.

Yeah, but how do you gain access to these files if the system doesn't give you access ?

As I said, I found a solution : boot a Puppy Linux, mount the MacOS HDD, and delete the EFI folder.
After that, the system is able to boot from the USB key again.
Yes, or use any different computer or boot into Windows on the same computer. Whatever works for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredyTS