• Become a Premium Member for $25/year with no ads to improve your community experience.

Acer Nitro 5 - Continuous hissing noise with 3.5 Combojack headphones ALC295

iwissem

CPU
i5-6400
Graphics
RTX3060
OS X/macOS
14.x
Bootloader
  1. OpenCore (UEFI)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello!

I am currently finishing to setup my first hackintosh on my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-51QY laptop and I am stuck on the last thing : configuring properly the audio. My codec is ALC295.

For the setup I am using OpenCore 0.9.8 and macOS Sonoma 14.3.1, and the AppleALC kext V.1.8.9 .

The issue is that, with the best working layout-ids (13 and 77) for my config, when I plug my HyperX Cloud II single jack headset to my laptop I get a continuous high-pitched hissing/static noise. When no audio is played I only hear that noise, otherwise I still can hear it in the background and it's giving me a headache. The headsets microphone is also not detected but the internal speakers and microphone are working perfectly.

What boggles my mind is that contrarily to many hackintoshers, a sleep-wake cycle fixes part of the issue, I noticed that when I put my computer totally to sleep then wake it up, the hissing noise totally disappears (tried for hours). This gives me hope to find a solution.

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

I tried to find a solution on my own but am not making any progress here anymore so I am seeking for your help.

To give you more information to help me, here's what I have tried and noticed so far:
  • On Ubuntu I had the exact same issue with my jack headset (hissing noise and non functional mic) on a clean install of the latest ubuntu bistro, but I found a way to fix it
    • How? thanks to this discussion I solved the issue on ubuntu by only entering this command in the terminal : echo 'options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    • I compared the codecdumps obtained on a clean install and after patching the audio with that command and I noticed that many of the fields have been modified
    • I also compared the fully functional codecdump when the headset is unplugged then plugged and I noticed that some coefficient have been modified.
      • test functional.gif
      • Here I found interesting that according to whether jack is plugged or not:
        • the "Amp-out Vals" of the nodes 2(0x02) and 3(0x03) automatically switch antithetically between disabled state (0x00) and enabled (0x3c) (cf. line 25 and 38) .
        • the "Amp-out Vals" of the nodes 20(0x14) & 33(0x21) automatically switch antithetically between disabled state (0x80) and enabled (0x00) (cf. line 135 & 265).
        • the audio mixer 35(0x23) switches the "Amp-in Vals" of the connected nodes 25(0x19) and 18(0x12) automatically switch antithetically between disabled state (0x80) and enabled (0x00) (cf. line 284).
  • I also followed the AppleALC Guides to produce my own layout. fully functional audio w plugged headset
    • What worked best for me was the following pathmaps:
      • Internal speakers: 20(0x14)-->2(0x02)
      • Internal microphone: 8(0x08)-->35(0x23)-->18(0x12)
      • headsets jack speakers: 33(0x21)-->3(0x03)
      • headsets jack microphone: 8(0x08)-->35(0x23)-->25(0x19)
    • I also tried multiple changes for the pinconfig that you can find in the attached file
      • Using pinconfigurator
      • Creating my own pinconfig manually using the codec dumps, and the verbs obtained on ubuntu after patching. I assumed that the audio problem I had was due to wrong pinconfigs and that init_pin_configs hasn't been modified by the command I entered contrarily to the driver_pin_configs file.
  • Finally I noticed that with layout 13 and the combo jack kext from this repo the headsets microphone becomes perfectly functional but it doesn't fix the hissing noise.
If you need more information on my configuration here is my repository.

Attachments

• my_custom_pinconfig_V3.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Codec-Dump_fully_funct_unplugged.png
    Codec-Dump_fully_funct_unplugged.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 3
  • opencore-2024-03-31-170427.txt
    256 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hello!

I am currently finishing to setup my first hackintosh on my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-55-51QY laptop and I am stuck on the last thing : configuring properly the audio. My codec is ALC295.

For the setup I am using OpenCore 0.9.8 and macOS Sonoma 14.3.1, and the AppleALC kext V.1.8.9 .

The issue is that, with the best working layout-ids (13 and 77) for my config, when I plug my HyperX Cloud II single jack headset to my laptop I get a continuous high-pitched hissing/static noise. When no audio is played I only hear that noise, otherwise I still can hear it in the background and it's giving me a headache. The headsets microphone is also not detected but the internal speakers and microphone are working perfectly.

What boggles my mind is that contrarily to many hackintoshers, a sleep-wake cycle fixes part of the issue, I noticed that when I put my computer totally to sleep then wake it up, the hissing noise totally disappears (tried for hours). This gives me hope to find a solution.

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

I tried to find a solution on my own but am not making any progress here anymore so I am seeking for your help.

To give you more information to help me, here's what I have tried and noticed so far:
  • On Ubuntu I had the exact same issue with my jack headset (hissing noise and non functional mic) on a clean install of the latest ubuntu bistro, but I found a way to fix it
    • How? thanks to this discussion I solved the issue on ubuntu by only entering this command in the terminal : echo 'options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    • I compared the codecdumps obtained on a clean install and after patching the audio with that command and I noticed that many of the fields have been modified
    • I also compared the fully functional codecdump when the headset is unplugged then plugged and I noticed that some coefficient have been modified.
      • View attachment 7362
      • Here I found interesting that according to whether jack is plugged or not:
        • the "Amp-out Vals" of the nodes 2(0x02) and 3(0x03) automatically switch antithetically between disabled state (0x00) and enabled (0x3c) (cf. line 25 and 38) .
        • the "Amp-out Vals" of the nodes 20(0x14) & 33(0x21) automatically switch antithetically between disabled state (0x80) and enabled (0x00) (cf. line 135 & 265).
        • the audio mixer 35(0x23) switches the "Amp-in Vals" of the connected nodes 25(0x19) and 18(0x12) automatically switch antithetically between disabled state (0x80) and enabled (0x00) (cf. line 284).
  • I also followed the AppleALC Guides to produce my own layout.View attachment 7369
    • What worked best for me was the following pathmaps:
      • Internal speakers: 20(0x14)-->2(0x02)
      • Internal microphone: 8(0x08)-->35(0x23)-->18(0x12)
      • headsets jack speakers: 33(0x21)-->3(0x03)
      • headsets jack microphone: 8(0x08)-->35(0x23)-->25(0x19)
    • I also tried multiple changes for the pinconfig that you can find in the attached file
      • Using pinconfigurator
      • Creating my own pinconfig manually using the codec dumps, and the verbs obtained on ubuntu after patching. I assumed that the audio problem I had was due to wrong pinconfigs and that init_pin_configs hasn't been modified by the command I entered contrarily to the driver_pin_configs file.
  • Finally I noticed that with layout 13 and the combo jack kext from this repo the headsets microphone becomes perfectly functional but it doesn't fix the hissing noise.
If you need more information on my configuration here is my repository.
Use the Jack Fix Script to fix that.

Thank you for your answer.
I have tried following this guide you wrote. With the codecCommander kext found here.

But i have an issue writing in the "usr/bin" folder. It tells me "Operation not permitted". So i tried to move the files you mentionned to "usr/local/bin" instead as oldman20 did here but it didnt fixed the issue.

update: I also followed your guide on how to enable write access on root volume but when I try to copy the had-verb and Jackfix files to the usr/bin folder either manually or with terminal using sudo I get "operation not permitted" or "no permission to read" as you can see below.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 22.39.34.png

I also tried after disabling SIP (like in the screenshot)
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 22.42.02.png

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
update: I also followed your guide on how to enable write access on root volume but when I try to copy the had-verb and Jackfix files to the usr/bin folder either manually or with terminal using sudo I get "operation not permitted" or "no permission to read" as you can see below.
That's not required for this fix.

Check your inbox!

Reactions: iwissem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foggy54